Louis Island was a French settlement located on the coast of Senegambia, present day
Senegal. In fact, the island was actually located at the mouth of Senegal River itself.
St. Louis was guarded by a fort, which had the same name as the island which was a major
port of slave embarkation in the French slave trade. The image is of a map of St. Louis
Island published in 1728. It shows the island with some of its fortifications and main
natural features. The image is reproduced courtesy of the Pitts Theology Library, Candler
School of Theology, Emory University.