Fort Cormantin on the Gold Coast, present day Ghana, was built by the English
in 1638 and was the largest English fortification on the coast before the Dutch, under the
famous Admiral de Ruyters, captured it in 1665. The Dutch renamed it Fort Amsterdam
although it continued to be referred to by its former name. Fort Cormantin was among the
first European constructions on the Gold Coast to incorporate a slave hold. The image is
of a view of Fort Cormantin from the sea with several vessels under surveillance. It is
reproduced courtesy of the John Carter Brown Library at Brown University.